my biggest goal.

I've recently received a few promptings about making time to record my personal history. I stumbled across this FamilySearch guide for writing your personal history and I think I'm going to go for it. 52 questions over 52 weeks. 

Question #1: Based on where you've been in the past, what are your goals for the future?

I've grown a lot over the past few years. In the past year alone, I've gone from being someone who felt huge anxiety about going out alone in Washington D.C. to someone who feels totally comfortable exploring London solo (yes, I just did that on Friday, and it was glorious). I've learned a lot from my two years of marriage (and counting), from BYU, from work, from the wards we have been in, from all of my experiences really.

I would say that my biggest goal for the future is to become an overall more loving person; to become someone who loves everyone unconditionally. Now that I think about it, you could say this is a fairly lofty goal—one that takes a lifetime to achieve. I suppose I better start now then, eh? 

I think it's safe to say that the people who have changed your life the most are the ones who have loved you unconditionally. The ones who saw the best in you and helped you see it in yourself.

Back in Provo, there was an older woman in our ward who, despite living in a transient college town ward, made every effort to make everyone around her feel loved and valued. She was one of the first people we met, and while she was friendly to everyone else as well, she made us feel like we were the only people in the world when she talked to us. She always gave us the biggest hugs and reminded us of the bright light she could see in us.

So. My future goal? To be someone like that. Someone who makes everyone around them feel like a million bucks. Someone who has the capacity within them to love everyone they meet and to look beyond their flaws and see the divinity within them—and to help them see it in themselves.

On the train to London.

Outside the V&A Museum in London. 

This morning on our church's street.

Comments