come and see.
One reason we love living in Paris is the opportunity to participate in missionary work. Our ward is holding a "Come and See" sacrament meeting next week where the program is specifically prepared to be visitor friendly. Every member is encouraged to invite a non-member to attend and learn more about the Church. Freddy is planning to invite friends from school, but seeing how I work from home, I don't have as much of an opportunity to get to know new people and invite them to church.
This evening I wanted to get out of the house and have some me time, so I took my Book of Mormon and scripture journal and went to the park on our street. I sat on a bench and read and pondered for a while. I started getting ready to leave when an older man came and sat on the bench next to me. My Book of Mormon was in plain sight and I could tell he was looking at it. Right then, I had a prompting to give him a "Come and See" flyer—I happened to have several in my scripture journal. I tried to decipher whether or not my thought was me being crazy or if it was a legit prompting, and then before I knew it the man was talking to me.
He spoke in French: "What is the difference between Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses?"
My French is nowhere near the level to explain the difference, so I apologized and explained that I don't speak French. Turns out he doesn't speak much English, even though he speaks German, Italian, and French. He said something about having to look it up himself, and then I remembered the flyer.
I whipped out the "Come and See" flyer and invited him to learn what our church is about at our services. He took it and seemed satisfied, said something else in French, and then we parted ways (I realize now I should have asked for his number to give to the missionaries... #rookiemistake).
I walked home floating. The thrill of being an instrument in God's hands is easily one of my favorite feelings on the planet.
This evening I wanted to get out of the house and have some me time, so I took my Book of Mormon and scripture journal and went to the park on our street. I sat on a bench and read and pondered for a while. I started getting ready to leave when an older man came and sat on the bench next to me. My Book of Mormon was in plain sight and I could tell he was looking at it. Right then, I had a prompting to give him a "Come and See" flyer—I happened to have several in my scripture journal. I tried to decipher whether or not my thought was me being crazy or if it was a legit prompting, and then before I knew it the man was talking to me.
He spoke in French: "What is the difference between Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses?"
My French is nowhere near the level to explain the difference, so I apologized and explained that I don't speak French. Turns out he doesn't speak much English, even though he speaks German, Italian, and French. He said something about having to look it up himself, and then I remembered the flyer.
I whipped out the "Come and See" flyer and invited him to learn what our church is about at our services. He took it and seemed satisfied, said something else in French, and then we parted ways (I realize now I should have asked for his number to give to the missionaries... #rookiemistake).
I walked home floating. The thrill of being an instrument in God's hands is easily one of my favorite feelings on the planet.

Comments