trees pt. II.

At some point, while I was in high school, I developed a thing for trees. I even wrote a post about it in an effort to explain my love for trees. 

I wrote that post nearly four years ago (where does the time go?!). My love for trees has continued since that point. When I met my husband Freddy, I basically knew he was the one when I realized I could speak freely to him about my love for trees and the way that light comes through them... without worrying if he thought I was strange or something. 


As weird as it may seem, I can tell how genuinely happy I am based on if I notice trees or not. Sometimes when I'm not feeling like myself (either for just the day or for several weeks), I just don't see them. I've kind of been feeling that way lately. 

I was reading the Book of Mormon today, and it all came back to me. The tree love.

Lehi the prophet has a dream where he sees a tree: "And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy." (1 Nephi 8:10-11). Later on in the Book of Mormon, the tree is explained to be a symbol of God's love.

But get this! Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said this about Lehi's vision: "The images of Christ and the tree [are] inextricably linked. … At the very outset of the Book of Mormon, … Christ is portrayed as the source of eternal life and joy, the living evidence of divine love."

The tree of life is a symbol for Christ. He is our true source of happiness. And while the trees we have here on earth might not exactly be the tree of life Lehi saw in his vision, I see Christ in trees. Oh, how grateful I am for trees. 

Admiring a tree, of course (photo by Freddy)

"He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;
Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made.
As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made;
As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made;
And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand."
-Doctrine & Covenants 88:6-10

Comments

Jen said…
Do you know the song "Jesus Christ the Apple Tree"? It's awesome. I think you would love it 😊
Maryn Tan said…
No I don't but that sounds fantastic! 😃