senior year.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not scared out of my mind for school to start on Tuesday. Every year I have some serious pre-school jitters, and being a senior and an SBO just makes it that much worse. Don't get me wrong, I am so pumped for school. Yesterday we had sophomore orientation, and as we decorated the school,  I could feel the excitement building in me. Everything looked so good -- so right. It felt that way, too.

I often wonder why I felt the need to apply for Historian. Unlike many of the other officers, it hasn't been a lifelong dream of mine to be a school officer. I always thought it'd be cool, but I didn't think I was the type. Then during sophomore year, I discovered there was an officer whose job was to photograph the school's events. I thought to myself, "What if that was me senior year?" I figured it was a long shot, but I kept the idea tucked in my mind as I continued observing the officer and her responsibilities. 

Junior year came along, and as it came time to elect and appoint new officers, many people pressured me to apply for Historian. I felt like I should at least give it a shot and see what happened. So I did.

Long story short, here I am. Bountiful High School's Student Body Historian for 2012-2013. Doing my best to represent and document a student body of more than 1500 students. It still seems surreal to me. When I'm out on the sidelines or at an activity taking pictures, I feel the same way I always do when taking pictures. It doesn't feel like a job to me. If anything, it feels like an incredible opportunity to better my skills and myself.

And even though I get to do what I love -- take pictures AND serve others -- this year is still going to require a lot of faith: faith in my abilities, faith that what we're doing truly makes a difference,  faith in the other officers, faith that we can do anything, faith that I'm in the right place. 

 I'm looking forward to seeing how I change as a senior. Here's to a year of new and wonderful experiences!

photo c/o the lovely Kayla Hanni

Comments

editorgirl said…
Maryn, reading this makes me so proud of you. I know how hard it can be to put yourself out there. I'm so excited for you this year--I know you're going to be a brilliant Historian and a brilliant senior. I hope you remember will all that faith you have, you have a lot of people who have faith in you and what you can do. You're the best Maryn ever.
Love you, sister.