the downer complex.

A few days ago, I was sitting in seminary, just sitting and not really doing much else. I could already tell it was going to be a rough day. I had no energy and no desire to participate in seminary, which usually are good implications of a cruddy mood. 

So it was starting out as a not-so-great day, and it ended up being a not-so-great day. And I didn't do anything to change it.


The next day was a not-so-great day too. But then I realized something. 

Several times when I've had a downer day or week, my mom has reminded me that Satan is trying his darnedest to make me unhappy. That day, I realized that was exactly what was happening. I was allowing some negative thoughts about myself enter my mind and letting them stay for tea and crumpets. In turn, I became pretty miserable. 

So I decided to do something about it. 

The day after those two rough days, I was back in seminary (fifth period). I walked into class determined to have a happy day. As soon as I got to my seat, I was already making conversation with the girl in the seat next to mine. I immediately felt a boost, and just as soon, thoughts of doubt tried to creep into my mind.

But I shot those babies down. 

I continued doing my best to enjoy class, and it ended up being one of the best days in seminary this year. I shared several times and loved getting to know the other students in my class. And after class, my teacher thanked me for sharing a few insights. It felt marvelous.

And guess what? It turned out to be an excellent day. And guess what else? Today was excellent too.

"Don't give in. Certainly don't give into that being who is bent on the destruction of your happiness. He wants everyone to be miserable like unto himself. Face your doubts. Master your fears. 'Cast not away therefore your confidence.' Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold before you."
- Jeffrey R. Holland

So what did I learn... Satan wants you to be miserable. He'll do everything in his power to make you stay that way, but if you defend yourself against him, he won't be able to control you. 

One more thing. As you maintain a positive attitude, stop selling yourself short, and most importantly, focus your thoughts on others, you will have some seriously wonderful days. Always. 


Comments

KristenL said…
Amen, Maryn! :) I love your insights. And that picture is GORGEOUS. I think I want to frame that. Way to keep working on your talent.
Lauren said…
LOVE LOVE LOVE your thoughts. You are truly amazing, sis. Write that all down in your journal so you'll have it for later. I still have those days way too often and I'm not always as strong as you.

And your picture ROCKS. Seriously. LOVE IT. I think I need you to email it to me.

LOVE YOU!
Lekili said…
I love that you really listen to the prophet and his apostles and then live what they have taught. You are the coolest 16 year old I know!

I love, love, love you!