a backpack makeover.
I needed a new backpack for the school year. The one I used last year is now dirty and gross looking, plus I was sick of its hugeness and hot pinkness. That being said, I searched and scoured for a possible backpack to call my own. I wanted a cute one, but not one that a bunch of girls would have one similar to.
And so I looked. And these, among others, were what I found:
But I just didn't feel great about spending $60 on a cute backpack that is just that: cute. If I got a $60+ backpack, I wanted it to be well worth the money.
Unfortunately I couldn't be sure about any of the backpacks, so I took matters into my own hands.
I bought an $8 backpack at Seagull Book with one goal in mind: TO MAKE THE UGLY BACKPACK CUTE. I've always enjoyed a challenge, especially a creativity-centered one, and I was pretty sure I could do it anyway. And so I got to work.
I picked off the Everest labels...
Made some little zipper pulls...
Sewed on some buttons...
Embroidered an "m"...
And this is what my $8 backpack from Seagull Book looks like now:
Obviously it's not perfect, and it's not a two-toned canvas bag from Urban Outfitters or Madewell or some other place, but I'm happy with it. I think I'll enjoy it.
And so I looked. And these, among others, were what I found:
And the crowning glory... A Fjallraven Kanken. I've been wanting one of these for so long.
But I just didn't feel great about spending $60 on a cute backpack that is just that: cute. If I got a $60+ backpack, I wanted it to be well worth the money.
Unfortunately I couldn't be sure about any of the backpacks, so I took matters into my own hands.
![]() |
| it wasn't this exact one, but it was similar. |
I picked off the Everest labels...
Made some little zipper pulls...
Sewed on some buttons...
Embroidered an "m"...
And this is what my $8 backpack from Seagull Book looks like now:
Obviously it's not perfect, and it's not a two-toned canvas bag from Urban Outfitters or Madewell or some other place, but I'm happy with it. I think I'll enjoy it.



Comments